A Couple More Snake Stories

Carin’s been finding a lot of stories about snakes lately, so since I never like to be outdone even though most of the time I’m too lazy to do anything about it, I figure it’s time I get in on the act. Here are a couple of snake-related mishaps I’ve come across in the last couple of days.

We’ll start off with what has to be one of the
dumbest home remedies ever devised.

Then there’s the one — Rabold’s had so many patients he can’t remember if he treated this guy or just read about it —where a man was struck by a rattlesnake, and the guy’s buddy tried a home remedy to treat the wound.

“His buddy got the jumper cables and hooked him up to a giant battery for his semi, then fired up the engine. He probably had to put down his beer first to put the clamps on each side of the snake bite,” Rabold said, laughing. “The guy is screaming, yelling and seizing from this treatment; they thought it would somehow break the venom down.

“Someone actually did a study, and found that electric therapy doesn’t work. It’s just an interesting layman’s myth. This guy ended up with third-degree electrical burns.”

I don’t know much about first aid and I know even less about snake bites, but come on, that just seems like a horrible idea in every possible way, and probably a few impossible ones come to think of it.

Then there’s
this video
sent by a friend. It kind of reminds me of
something similar
that Carin posted a while back, the only difference being that I think this guy only had his sense of masculinity injured.

Be careful, it’s a jungle out there.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.