And now, Gill thanks her parents for some lessons they taught her.
- Colour blind – My parents taught me how to make friends with others using the Dr. King theory of character over colour.
- Kindness and benevolence – My mom often tells a story of when I was in kindergarten and this little girl in my class was sad, and I told her “I’ll be your friend.`
- Violence doesn’t live here – Growing up as a child of the 1980’s there were a lot of horror movies E.G. Friday the 13th, due to the high level of gore in them my sister and I were forbidden to watch them.
- Be a superheroine – My mom always told me to stand on the side of right and good, and to fight for the right things.
- Never give up – I can’t count how many times I fell while skating as a small child or fell while skiing, but my parents always told me “pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again.`
- Try it you may like it- By now you should know I’m pretty open to trying new things and learning stuff, we have my parents to thank for that.
What’s a core value your parents taught you, and how has it shaped you today? Is there something you wish your parents had told you, or a value you wish they had instilled?