A Trix Update From Her New Home

Last Updated on: 18th November 2012, 08:56 am

Well, as Brad promised, here is a post on how the Trixeroo is doing. Sounds like things are going well…that peeing on everything she can outside thing is a new one. Funny how they change. So here it is.

I hear that a lot of you are wondering what is happening with Trixie since the big move. How is she doing, Is she happy? What’s going on? Well, the answer is sleeping, walking, eating, playing with stuff, sleeping, sleeping, eating, sleeping, walking, chomping on different toys, and also sleeping and going for walks. This seems to suit her just fine.

We’ll start with the day I got her home. She came in, scoped out the house, even though she has been here a time or two before. After that, we went for a walk. Man alive does she ever know how to sniff. Everything we go by, fire hydrants, trees, posts, cable boxes. You name it; it gets sniffed and peed on. I thought males were the Clem Piddiddlehoppers of the canine world, but I guess Trix didn’t read that little blurb. She stops and checks out everything, then proceeds to water it.

For the first week or so, she didn’t seem wild about walks. I wonder if she maybe linked them with working or something. I don’t know. Either way, the last couple weeks, she has really started enjoying them. We can go for pretty well any distance, and she runs and sniffs around the entire way. The longest walk we have been on to date is about 8.5 km, and she seemed to love it. There are lots of nice trails through the bush and along the river right near my house, so we spend a lot of time out there. Every morning we go for a walk, unless it is raining or something equally unpleasant for walking in. We go for forty minutes to an hour, and then I have to get ready for school. Then she’s on her own.

As you likely remember, the vet said she had the remnants of a Urinary Tract Infection that had gotten up to the kidneys a little, and Trix was on antibiotics for a while. Well, we went to our new vet, The Brantford Veterinary Clinic, and they did the urinalysis, which came back clean. The infection is gone. I sort of thought so. There has been no emergency-style outside racings for quite a while. By the way, the folks at the Brantford Veterinary Clinic are good people. I would recommend them for anyone looking for a vet around these parts.

I have noticed it, and a few other people have said it too. Trix is acting more and more like a dog. For example, she barks if someone rings the doorbell. Carin figured she would stop that once she settled in, but it seems to be a thing she likes to do. When I come home from the college, she jumps and flops and flomps around for a couple minutes. Then we go out in the yard for a bit. I wish my backyard was fenced, but it’s not. Not completely, anyway. At the first I kept her on the leash and we’d do loops around while she sniffed the place to death, but now I just let her out loose if I am out there. She stays right with me pretty well, and there’s nothing out there that can really do any harm. Her recall is also very good. If she gets too close to the neighbour’s I just say “hey, that’s far enough, and she comes charging right back. She has this new thing where she’ll run in circles, stop in front of me and sort of crouch down. At the first I had no clue what she was doing, but then I thought about something my cousin’s dog does, where you move towards it and it races around like it’s crazed. When I sort of ran towards her, she did exactly that. She can really move. I’d be dizzy if I ran in circles like that. She is also very bouncy. Maybe prancy is a better word for it. She used to sort of guide on the leash, but she’s basically given that up, too.

We are still working on her fear of dogs. She’s a lot better than she was even three weeks ago. The first time we went for a walk with a couple of my friends and their dogs, she wanted nothing to do with them. If they led, she’d try to go the other way, and if we led, we were racing way ahead. The same if we met a dog on the trails, she sort of went nuts, pulling and twirling around me with the leash. Now we can walk right beside other people with dogs, and she doesn’t really seem to bother with it. Just this morning there was a dog off leash that came up to us. She didn’t even try to run. I think the funniest thing was when I took her to another friend’s place. They have a big Doberman, weighs about 100 pounds. She was not wild about him at the first, but he wanted to play. He is a very persistent creature, and kept trying to get her to chase him. Finally he got right in front of her and sort of tried to chase her. She backed up a bit, then just started barking. For some reason he dropped to the ground and laid right in front of her. She thought that was just great. Her tail started going like mad. Whenever he got up and tried to play, she’d bark and he’d hit the deck. By the end they were playing, sort of.

I’m starting to ramble now, so I’ll wrap this episode up by saying that I really enjoy having her here, although it did take a bit of getting used to. She seems to like it here, so we’re both happy.
There is way too much to write down here at one time, so, if you want more updates, just let me know, and I’ll eventually get something written down.

So there ya have it. I’m so happy Trix is happy. What a sweety. I have a feeling she’ll make lots of stories for us for a while.

Join the Conversation


  1. The taking leaks all over everything is definitely new. Wonder what got her started on that.

    I’m glad you guys are having fun and both adjusting to each other. I knew you would.

  2. Wow! It’s like she really understands that she’s living the life of luxury as a retired guide. Barking? Hahaha! Awwww Trixie. I’m so glad she’s enjoying being a dog. Jayden is very very very jealous that she gets to sniff everything and pee on stuff.

    Thanks Brad!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.